November 20, 2010

How much does God control?

There is a popular train of thought among Christians that says God does not cause bad things to happen, but he allows them. After all, Lamentations 3:37 says "Can anything happen without the Lords permission?" Somehow it is supposed to be easier to reconcile that a good God does not cause bad things to happen, but he gives permission for those things to happen. For awhile I was content to be brainwashed with that train of thought. That said, I was only brainwashed because I allowed myself to be. I am in no way blaming anyone. But I feel that it is foolish to just accept an explanation. I would not buy it if someone tried to explain that about something! Why should someone who does not believe in God buy into that. Or better yet, people who say if there is a God, or if God is good, why does he allow such things to happen? This is a universal question....... Which leads me to another thought. Doesn't is seem interesting that there are universal questions or trains of thought? Like how people form 2 different cultures who have never been exposed to one another can have the same questions about the universe. Or create the same invention. I would say that this is proof that the universal ideas are because those two very different people are from the same creator....

So what got me thinking about this was when I was reading 2 Chronicles 7. Solomon just completed building the temple with God's help and all the people are rejoicing and praising God and it says that this praising caused the people to be joyful and happy because the Lord had been so good. When we praise God it's like we can't help but be joyful. vs. 13 is what caught my attention. God says At times I might shut up the heavens so that no rain falls, or I might command the locusts to devour your crops, or I might send plagues among you. in this case God goes on in vs 14 to explain the purpose for this. He says " Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and forgive their sins, and heal their land. It seems to me that God would allow such things to happen when people have turned away from him and he causes these things to happen to bring them back into a relationship with him. I get that there are things in life that happen in life that put us in a position to seek God. I am all for that, because I have definitely had those moments and they have drawn me to God and strengthened my faith and love for God. What about those situations though where just awful unimaginable things happen to people. What about those kids born with disabilities or those who are neglected and abused. It is easy to push those things aside when they are not part of your everyday life. I guess I have been questioning things like that more working with kids with severe disabilities. Some inflicted upon themselves... Even though I can reconcile that God may not have inflicted some of those things, he still allowed them to happen.. Why? Let me clarify something before I go on. Let there be no mistake that even though I seem to be coming to the conclusion that there are some bad things in the world that God causes to happen, keep in mind that there is evil in this world, and I do not in any way believe that God causes evil to happen in this world. Satan causes evil in this world. However again that leads me back to the verse "Can anything happen without the Lords permission?"

I will say that I believe the character of God is consistent. The Bible shows time and time again of instances where bad things have happened to good people and yet God used them for an amazing purpose that not only benefited the life of the sufferer later on in life, but those around him, or even a nation. That applies even today. God works in my life in similar ways. I am a believer that God can use even the most devastating circumstances in my life for good. Not just in general, but good that will benefit me! Believing in God.. being humble.. seeking God.. praying to God.. It is what my soul longs for It draws me to God and benefits my life spiritually!

I wish I had a logical explanation for a conclusion, but I don't. That is what I am wrestling with right now. I think it is ok though for someone who believes in God to wrestle with these questions and not just simply accept the explanation as it is given to you by someone else. I don't believe that God wants me to just accept these simple explanations either. I was created to ask these questions. These questions make me seek God more and can only serve to deepen my faith. That being said I may never have a question to this answer.

Any thoughts? There is a really great ministry called RBC that publishes little booklets. I have found them extremely beneficial as I seek God. Here is the link to one I will be reading as I wrestle with my questions. It is called. I hope you will consider these questions as well. Seek God, as I will be, and let him teach you.

http://discoveryseries.org/discovery-series/how-much-does-god-control/

No comments:

Post a Comment