October 18, 2010

Linked to a memory

Haha.. I almost named this blog post smells and memory, but the first thing my mind went to were farts and I did not want anyone else to think that was what I was writing about.. lol....moving on..

Do you ever notice how some scents bring back memories? There are some things we associate smells with.. There are the obvious scents of the seasons like cider and leaves. Then there are scents that are much more personal. I know whenever I smell Pine Sol it is associated with this memory of when I was 3 or 4 and had to stay after school for some reason and they were cleaning the classroom. I have no idea why that has stayed with me.

I got a new body wash today. Suave Sweet Pea and Violet. As I was taking in that scent I remembered having that particular lotion that I would always use. It was between June 2004 and December 2004. At this point you are probably thinking wow, Lisa has mad memory skills! Lol. Well I do have a good memory, but I just happen to remember this time, because it was the start of a big turning point in  my life. I was blessed to live in Indy then doing a design internship. This was my first time being on my own, doing a job I loved, in a city I loved. Then I learned that I was not going to get a job at the place I was working, and what was worse is I had to leave my family here. I was devastated. As Psalm 77:1 says, I cried out to God without holding back, but God was silent. In the month before I had to leave I found myself driving to church and almost getting there only to have to turn around and go home because I could not contain my emotions. I could not understand why God would give me the desire of my heart only to allow it to be taken away. It is weird how that scent reminds me of that time, and how I have looked for it since, but could never find it.. until today (and bath & body works sweet pea does not smell the same)

So anyway, as I was drinking in that scent today and remembering that time, I praised the Lord for his amazing goodness and I thanked him for that time. How crazy that I can say that now. After that time I had to move back to New Jersey with my Dad, which was not the best living arrangement, especially for a new believer. I could not get a job in the fashion industry, and I was not interested in finishing up that degree anymore. I went from one bad job to another and was even fired from one. I quit going to church for a month, but realized that even then I could not escape God and did not want to anymore. I came to points of surrender over and over again! God showed me through prayer and the Bible that I needed to start building a better relationship with my Mom. He brought me into some wonderful friendships at my church, some of which I still have. He helped me realize through prayer that I wanted to work with older people. I also quit smoking during this time. He led me to move to Florida, where I finished my degree and got to know my mom more. I started to realize that my time in Florida was coming to an end, but I was afraid to move. God showed me again through prayer and people, that it was ok to move back to Indy.

Isn't it funny how memories come back at us, and that we can look back and see the wonderful amazing works of God in our lives? I am sure amazed that I can praise him for such a crushing thing in my life. There really is nothing in our lives that are wasted or that God can not use for his Glory! Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment